A dental crown completely covers the portion of a tooth that is visible above the gum line. If your tooth is decayed, damaged, cracked, or needs a cosmetic makeover, a crown restoration can transform your smile.
At AV Dental Wellness in Lancaster, California, we provide customized dental crowns made from various materials to restore the smile aesthetics of our patients.
Reasons You May Need a Crown
A dental crown can save your natural tooth in the following situations:
- Broken or fractured tooth:When a tooth is broken or fractured, but your chewing function is normal.
- Cosmetic enhancement:When the teeth are discolored or stained and teeth whitening procedures are unable to help.
- Decay:When the tooth is severely decayed and damaged and cannot be repaired with fillings.
- Fractured fillings:When the former filling is fractured and cannot be repaired with other restorations.
- Root canal:After a root canal procedure, for additional protection and for restoring the tooth’s integrity.
Types of Dental Crowns
Porcelain Fused With Metal
This type of crown has been largely replaced by all-porcelain crowns, but it can be a robust, durable, and esthetic option depending on the preparation of the underlying tooth structure and the lab technician's skill.
One major disadvantage of porcelain fused with metal crowns is the tendency of the gums to recede over time, exposing the underlying metal.
Porcelain crowns are metal-free and can be customized in terms of color. They are a strong and sturdy dental crown option.
Although they are more visible, gold crowns are very resistant and recommended if you have a strong bite or grind or clench your teeth. They offer longevity, durability, and require minimal tooth preparation.
Dental Crowns Procedure
After the initial consultation, Dr. Kafri begins the process by removing any portion of the tooth that is decayed. Next, he will shape the tooth so that it fits inside the crown.
An exact model of the tooth and its neighboring teeth are created by using a digital scanner. This scan will be sent to our dental lab for fabricating the crown. Once it is ready, the restoration will be bonded to the tooth with strong dental-grade adhesives.
If you are interested in learning more about our dental crown treatments, visit AV Dental Wellness Group at 151 E Ave. J, Lancaster, CA 93535, or call us at (661) 942-1179 to schedule an appointment.